The Annual Operating Budget will be held tonight at the Richard Montgomery High School Auditorium (250 Richard Montgomery Drive, Rockville, MD) starting at 7:30pm.
Eight Councilmembers (all but one) and six Board of Education members have committed to be there.
MCCPTA membership is fast approaching 50,000 and we can pack the auditorium, BUT WE NEED YOUR HELP TO DO IT!
Please make every effort to be there to show your support – and please invite a friend, a neighbor and your PTA leadership to demonstrate that education funding matters.
Numbers do matter:
- $1,500 – the decrease in local per pupil funding since FY 2009;
- $26 million – the Maintenance of Effort (MOE) penalty to be imposed on MCPS this year unless the State legislature waives it (and $13 million more if the County fails to meet MOE for FY 2013);
- 9,000 – the number of additional students enrolled in MCPS since 2007, AND the same number by which MCPS enrollment is projected to grow again in the next five years;
- 47,365 – the number of students who qualify for Free and Reduced-price Meals (FARMS), the highest number of students living at or near poverty in MCPS history AND MORE THAN THE ENTIRE POPULATION OF THE D.C. PUBLIC SCHOOLS;
- 22.5% – the percentage of elementary school students systemwide who require English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) services;
- 2% – the increase in MCPS funding proposed by the Superintendent for FY 2013, and the smallest percentage increase requested in the last twelve years;
- 900 – the number of people it takes to fill the Richard Montgomery High School Auditorium;
- 1 – Maryland’s first place education ranking nationwide, led by Montgomery County Public Schools, AND THE NUMBER IT TAKES TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
Please take a few minutes TODAY to invite a few friends to join you –
hope to see you all there!
forwarded from Jean Schlesinger
MCCPTA Operating Budget Committee, Chair